PREMIUM PARROT FOOD FOR OPTIMAL GROWTH
Tropican Hand-Feeding Formula provides proper daily nutrition for baby parrots up to fledgling, which is a critical age of a parrot’s life. Its flavorful recipe simplifies transition to the next Tropican Life Cycle Formula.
Did you know that Hand-Feeding Formula for Parrots …
- Is a micro-ground extruded multigrain and peanut formula
- Contains no artificial preservatives, colors and flavors
- Contains “Human Grade” Sunflower kernel and peanut meat
- Contains optimum levels of protein, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and other nutrients required by growing babies
- Contains multiple sources of protein to generate impeccable feathers
- Contains optimal, balanced and safe levels of calcium and vitamin D for all psittacine species’ requirements
- Contains natural omega and fatty acids from flax seeds
- Has a high caloric density
- Provides optimum nutrient density and gut motility
- Is flavorful and simplifies transition to Tropican High Performance Formula
- Is easy to prepare; just add hot water to dry formula and mix
- Is easy to clean as it does not stick to feather
- Is fully processed and pasteurized to eliminate bacterial and fungal organisms; high level starch gelatinization
- Has no solid/liquid fractionation, resulting in effective crop peristalsis and no impaction
… all this results in excellent growth rates and health!
A Unique Formulation with Optimum Nutrition for Baby Parrots
A long-time favourite among parrot breeders and aviculturists alike, the Hand-Feeding Formula is a result of industry-leading research and development at HARI. Parrot breeders worldwide have grown to trust Tropican Hand-Feeding Formula for providing their baby birds with all the essential nutrients necessary for excellent growth and brilliant plumage. The Hand-Feeding Formula is a finely ground up form of the High Performance biscuits. This is to include the benefits of high temperature extrusion cooking such as gelatinization of the starches which improves the water holding properties of the formula, destruction of field bacteria, and easier digestion.
Tropican’s advanced Hand-Feeding Formula delivers all the nutritional potency that makes it a leading baby parrot food. It’s an excellent peanut-derived source of fat and protein, as well as a source of essential grains that complement amino acid profiles, all critical to the proper growth and well-being of parrot chicks from hatch through the fledgling age. A rich source of Omega fatty acids from flaxseed, peanuts and sunflower seeds, Tropican makes feathers shine and helps support a healthy body.
Proudly Canadian Made
We are very proud of Tropican’s outstanding 30+ year tradition of raising thousands of parrots over several generations at HARI. At a time when most bird food companies have shut their research centers, HARI continues its ongoing work on the research and development of advanced bird nutrition. In fact, HARI is the longest-standing research facility dedicated to studying the care and breeding of parrots.
Tropican uses only the freshest grains and legumes from the most recent crops.
Ingredients are sourced locally, which means consumers get fresher food faster. In addition, the fact that it’s now made in close geographical proximity to HARI, located in Rigaud, means quicker turnaround times for final HARI quality assurance approvals and enhanced freshness-to-market efficiencies.
At HARI, Quality Control is a 3-Step Process
Highest Quality Ingredients and First-Rate Quality Control Processes Mean Premium Quality Foods
Nutritional/Chemical Assay – Raw Material Control
Raw ingredients are inspected, analyzed, and tested for nutrient
Biological Assay – In Process Control
Blended/extruded ingredients are sampled and tested
HARI Flock Feeding Trials – Final Product Control
Ready to be packaged lots are sent to be tested for final
This process is part of the Hagen Industries/HARI Quality Assurance & Food Safety Guarantee, to ensure your bird is always getting safe, dependable, nutritious food. If it doesn’t have the flocks’ final approval, it doesn’t leave the Hagen Industries plant!
For more in-depth information on the scientific development of Tropican Formulated Diets read Avian Nutrition: Trends and Philosophies, by HARI Director, Mark Hagen
AFRICAN GREYS • AMAZONS • COCKATIELS • COCKATOOS • CONURES • ECLECTUS • LOVEBIRDS • MACAWS • PIONUS • MOST PSItTACINES
Who can benefit from Hand-Feeding Formula?
Hand-Feeding Formula is suitable for baby parrots up to fledglings. It can also be fed dry to Lories, Finches, Canaries and other small species as food supplement. View the photo gallery below to learn more about the benefits of providing Tropican Hand-Feeding Formula to your pet bird.
Administration of food with a feeding syringe is recommended provided you are confident of the proper technique to be used. Use a separate syringe for each clutch. If you are not confident with syringe feeding, a spoon bent on either side can also be used.
- Place syringe tip slightly into left side of beak with one hand. Pressure should be placed on the Beak’s commissures with the fingers of the other hand and palm of hand held behind the head of chick, preventing the syringe to injure the mouth when chick will react with a feeding response.
- When bird gives feeding response (head pumping), start feeding and aim towards the back right side of the mouth. Close monitoring of chick response and respiration is essential to prevent aspiration. Fill crop without excess stretching.
- A daily weight monitoring and amount fed chart should be kept for health growth parameters and future reference. Allow crop to completely empty between feedings.
- A bent teaspoon may also be used to slowly drip food into beak. Metal feeding tubes are not recommended, as they can pierce the crop and esophagus, allowing food to leak out.
Can be fed dry to lories, finches, canaries and other small species as food supplement.
- Lories: Feed the formula as a dry powder in a separate bowl. A second bowl may contain some diced fruits mixed with Prime and the formula however make sure the birds first are eating the dry food. Some sugar can be mixed up to 10 % with the formula to get the lories to start eating it, but discontinue this once the birds are eating the food. On a liquid diet of simple sugars, lories are sensitive to bacterial gut infections thus feeding exclusively a dry powder such as Tropican Hand-feeding Formula is not only easier but also leads to better health.
- Finches, canaries and other small species: As a dry powder in a separate bowl during stress, moulting, and breeding.
Mix hot water with correct volume (see chart below) of Tropican Hand-Feeding Formula (alternatively, use cold water and microwave). CAUTION: Always mix food completely and beware of hot spots.
Because of Tropican’s beneficial gelatinization properties, it will take a minute to fully moisturize with water. Therefore, fine tuning the consistency is advised. Simply add a little bit more water if needed.
Final temperature should be slightly above body temperature (38°C-100°F) and should never be fed to chicks in excess of 40.5°C (105°F). An accurate, calibrated thermometer should always be used to verify the desired temperature. Overheated food can burn delicate mouth, throat and crop tissues. The suggested brooder temperature (see chart below) should be used as a guideline for keeping chicks at proper temperature.
Tropican Hand-Feeding Formula for Baby Parrots is a complete diet. Do not dilute this food with other baby foods or its complete dietary balance will be lost, and the mixture may become deficient in vital nutrients.
|Baby Age (days)||Hot Water to Dry Formula Ratio||Baby Brooder Guideline Temperature|
|0-2||90% / 10%||35.5°C – 36.5°C||96°F – 98°F|
|3-7||85% / 15%||33.5°C – 34.5°C||92°F – 94°F|
|7-21||80% / 20%||30.0°C – 32.5°C||86°F – 90°F|
|21+||75% / 25%||27.0°C – 30.5°C||80°F – 86°F|
|Hand-Feeding Formula (kcal/kg)|
|ME (cal. diluted)||353.8||530.7||707.6||884.5||1167.54|
|Hand-Feeding Formula (kcal/ml)|
|ME (cal. diluted)||0.338||0.493||0.641||0.781||0.991|
Corn, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, wheat, brown rice, dehulled sunflower seeds, dehulled peanuts, sugar, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dicalcium phosphate, lecithin, calcium carbonate, yeast culture, flaxseed, dried beet pulp, dried kelp, oat groats, L-lysine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, biotin, vitamin E supplement, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate (source of vitamin C), zinc oxide, manganous oxide, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, rosemary extract, beta-carotene, riboflavin, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.
|Crude protein (min.)||22.0%|
|Crude fat (min.)||11.0%|
|Crude fiber (max.)||3.5%|
|Iron (max.)||85 mg/kg|
|Vitamin A (min.)||5,500 IU/kg|
|Vitamin D3 (min.)||550 IU/kg|
|Vitamin E (min.)||220 IU/kg|
|Beta-Carotene (min.)||0.45 mg/kg|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min.)||0.03%|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids (min.)||0.25%|
Composition:Cereals (53%), derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetable proteins extracts, seeds, minerals, nuts (peanuts 3.8%), oils and fats, yeasts, algae.
Additives per kg: Nutritional additives: vitamin A (3a672a) 8,250 IU, vitamin D3 (3a671) 660 IU, iodine (E2) 1.1 mg, copper (E4) 13.2 mg, manganese (E5) 138.6 mg, zinc (E6) 176 mg, selenium (E8) 4.4 μg.
|Vitamin A||5,500 IU/kg|
|Vitamin D3||550 IU/kg|
|Vitamin E||220 IU/kg|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids||0.03%|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids||0.25%|
|B2259||Hand-Feeding Formula||400 g||0.88 lb|
|B2263||Hand-Feeding Formula||2 kg||4.4 lb|
|B2262||Hand-Feeding Formula – bulk||5 kg||11 lb|
For maximum freshness, once opened, store in a cool, dry place. Our safe and effective CO2 treatment and air barrier bags ensure insect control and freshness. Manufactured in a facility that packages products containing nuts.
HARI/Hagen Group Announces Loro Parque Foundation Lifetime Membership Sponsorship of Dr. Lora Kim Joyner of One Earth Conservation and Enrique Pucci of Ara ManzanilloRead More
Supercharged egg food recipe for caged and aviary birds.Read More
With growing global concerns around COVID-19 (“coronavirus”), we hope you, your family and your precious pets remain healthy and safe. With so many unknowns presented during COVID-19, we want to provide you with an update on our response to date and our commitment to you moving forward.Read More