Preening Toys for Birds
HARI SMART.PLAY Preening Toys
Preening is an important part of a parrot’s daily routine. Preening toys are exceptionally important to birds that are housed alone and can help deter feather damaging behaviours. Extruded granules/sticks can be embedded within some preening toys to offer a combination of preening with foraging activity. This may appeal to a parrot that has less experience with preening; helping to encourage essential grooming.
Many of the materials used in the toys are natural materials such as bamboo, sisal, cocona, coconut, seagrass, loofah, willow, pinewood, and sea shells. The colours used in the toys are made from non-toxic vegetable dyes. HARI SMART.PLAY foraging toys come with either an appropriately sized pear-shaped or d-shaped quick link.
For the Health and Well Being of Your Bird
Preening toys can relieve boredom, promote mental and physical stimulation, and help prevent feather plucking.
- Toys available in a range of size suitable for all hookbills
- Encourages preening and foraging
- Relieves boredom and helps prevent feather plucking
- Provides mental and physical stimulation
- Helps relieve anxiety by providing entertainment
|Item#||Description||Dimensions||For Parrot Size|
|81000||Preening Block||36cm (14″) H||S/M|
|81001||Super Shredding Ball||27cm (10.6″) H | Ø 10 cm (4″)||M|
|81003||Leather Kabob||13cm (5.1″) H | 10cm (4″) W||S/M|
|81012||Octopus||45cm (17.7″) H | Ø 13.5 cm (5″)||M/L|
|81013||Loofah Man||27cm (10.6″) H | Ø 13.5 cm (5″)||M|
|81018||Piñata Garland||21.5cm (8.5″) H||S|
|81024||Wicker Wood Fun||20cm (7.9″) H||S|
|81025||Corn Silk Cascade (S)||22cm (8.7″) H | Ø 12 cm (4.7″)||M|
|81026||Corn Silk Cascade (L)||43cm (17″) H | Ø 16 cm (6.3″)||M/L|
|81027||Venus (S)||27cm (10.6″) H||S|
|81028||Venus (L)||33cm (13″) H||M|
|81029||Grass Bundles||42cm (16.5″) H | 19cm (7.5″) W||S/M|
|81080||Hula Skirt||46cm (18″) L||S/M|
|81081||Catch of the Day||40cm (15.8″) H||S/M|
|81082||Rollie Pollie||30cm (11.8″) H | 16cm (6.3″) W||M|
Choosing the Right Preening Toy for Your Parrot
Preening toys should be offered in a variety of sizes, textures and colours. Be sure to desensitize your bird to new items that will be placed in his living quarters. Rotating a vast selection of toys from time to time can keep his interest peeked. Birds have an incredible memory and will easily recognize a favourite toy even weeks later.
- Braided streamers will provide longer lasting enjoyment and stimulate the dexterity and ingenuity to preen these.
- Hanging tassels are a great way to ruffle some feathers and stimulate preening.
- A swing perch with a woven head of natural sisal or abaca rope is an excellent toy to provide both a comfortable perching area, stimulate exercise and preening activity.
- Preening devices that are small enough to be held by your parrot’s foot such as small balls with bristles or a toothbrush make great additions to a preening toy collection. They not only encourage preening but also dexterity and balance.
Preening toys should not be placed close to water bowls or areas where misting and bathing will take place. Materials on some toys may get wet or mouldy and the bird could preen mould onto his feathers. Cotton rope perches can offer stability if offered near a favourite preening device, but once they have become frayed should be removed from the cage or play area. Small threads are hard to see if they become wrapped around little feet, which can cause discomfort and sometimes constriction. Removing any items that have frayed and may become a possible suspension hazard is crucial.
Supercharged egg food recipe for caged and aviary birds.Read More
With growing global concerns around COVID-19 (“coronavirus”), we hope you, your family and your precious pets remain healthy and safe. With so many unknowns presented during COVID-19, we want to provide you with an update on our response to date and our commitment to you moving forward.Read More
Brazil November 2019 – Pantanal and Bonito Mark recently traveled with Steve Brookes of Wild Parrots Up Close on one of his Eco-Tours to Brazil.Read More