Tropican Bird Food Recommendations

2 min read
Join Our Avian Social Communities!

How much Tropican bird food should your bird be eating?

While the HARI Flock Members eat 100% Tropican, we recommend that most companion bird’s weekly Tropican consumption be at 70%. That leaves 30% for the fun enrichment food such as seed mixes, fruits and vegetables and of course Tropimix! While that might seem like a lot of formulated diet, it’s really not. In fact, to maintain healthy weight and reach optimal nutrient, care takers might be surprised to learn that the typical serving for a Double Yellow Head Amazon is only 33 grams! Breeder and Juvenile parrots might require a little more Tropican.

We recommend fresh Tropican be offered in clean dishes ad lib throughout the bird’s living quarters. While it’s tempting to mix Tropican with your bird’s favorite seed mix, we suggest that Tropican be offered in a separate dish. By offering Tropican in a separate dish you can monitor your bird’s consumption and reduce the amount of spoiled food.

Want to learn more? In this video segment, the HARI team discusses the following:

What Percentage of a Companion Bird’s Diet Should be TROPICAN?
What Quantities of TROPICAN are Needed to Achieve Optimal Nutrition?
What Quantities of TROPICAN Should be Offered & Where?

Should every parrot species be fed a weekly recommendation of 70% of Tropican?

While Tropican diets offer an excellent foundation in optimal nutrition for most parrots, caretakers need take into consideration species specifications, as well as life stage levels, for their birds. Some parrot species do well with a higher percentage of seed in their overall diet. For those birds, and especially birds fed predominantly seed diet, we recommend that caretakers offer Prime Vitamins and Mineral supplement. Plus, breeding parrots or juveniles need a higher level of proteins and other nutrients for optimal health.

Check out the video for HARI recommendations!

Choosing the perfect formula for your pet bird.

Companion parrots require a balanced diet that contains a nutritious blend of grains, seeds, nuts, vegetables, fruits, vitamins and minerals. Pet parents also need to consider the species, life stage and lifestyle of their bird to ensure they are getting the right nutrients.